Literature Wales are delighted to launch a public call-out for a Wales-based writer to become the first Children’s Laureate Wales for 2019-2021.
The Children’s Laureate Wales is a new national ambassadorial post, delivered by Literature Wales, which aims to engage and inspire the children of Wales through literature. The Children’s Laureate Wales is a two-year post for a Wales-based writer and will focus on increasing children’s accessibility to, and conveying the joy of, creative writing and reading.
The Laureate will focus on making literature fun for children of all backgrounds and abilities, and will work alongside the Welsh-language children’s laureate, Bardd Plant Cymru.
Primarily working with children and young people between the ages of 5-13, the Children’s Laureate Wales is an English-language scheme which will encourage creativity and self-expression, and advocate for representation, equality and the well-being of the future generations of Wales.
Literature Wales welcomes expressions of interest from writers across all literary forms, from poetry to prose, graphic novels and spoken word.
Children’s Laureate Wales will:
• engage and inspire the children of Wales (primarily ages 5-13) through literature;
• encourage self-expression and develop literacy and communication skills amongst children;
• be an ambassador and positive role model for children, championing their rights and interests;
• raise the visibility of children’s literature in Wales, nationally and internationally;
• be a strong advocate for creative reading, writing and speaking for pleasure;
• support the development of the next generation of young writers;
• particularly engage Literature Wales’ Target Client Characteristics, as specified in the company's Strategic Plan 2019-22 – children from BAME backgrounds, children from low income backgrounds, children with disabilities or illnesses (physical or mental);
• scout, develop, support and advocate for a cohort of talented young writers at the start of their literary careers.
The deadline to send expressions of interest to Literature Wales is:
12.00 noon on Thursday 11 July 2019
Further information about the terms of appointment, eligibility, and how to submit an expression of interest can be found on the Literature Wales website.
Closing date: 11/07/2019